Dr. Jeremy Powers
Dr. Jeremy Powers provides comprehensive plastic and reconstructive surgery, including DIEP flap breast reconstruction, pediatric cleft and craniofacial surgery, extremity salvage surgery, and facial trauma reconstruction. Additionally, Dr. Powers practices the full scope of aesthetic/cosmetic surgery including facelift, rhinoplasty, botox/fillers and breast/body procedures. He applies his skills with technical excellence and strives to be a good listener, working with his patients to develop the best plan of care to achieve their goals. Whether a patient is in need of reconstructive plastic surgery or interested in aesthetic services, Dr. Powers looks forward to serving that need.
Dr. Powers is from Marion, Virginia, and while he is the son of two doctors, it was his own love of science and desire to help people that led him to pursue medicine. Serving on several collegiate mission trips confirmed his interest in medicine as a way to help those in need and instilled a lifelong desire to promote global health. Following his graduation with honors in neuroscience at the College of William and Mary, he attended medical school at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine in Richmond, Virginia. He remained at VCU for his residency training in plastic and reconstructive surgery, with research experience encompassing microsurgery, pediatric plastic surgery, and breast reconstruction. He went on to pursue further specialization in reconstructive microsurgery and craniofacial surgery at Beaumont Health in Royal Oak, Michigan.
- Integrated Microsurgery and Craniomaxillofacial Surgery
- Dr. Kongkrit Chaiyasate
- William Beaumont Hospital and Beaumont Children’s Hospital
- Royal Oak, Michigan
- Integrated Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Residency
- Virginia Commonwealth University Health System and McGuire Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center
- Richmond, Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- Richmond, Virginia
- BS Neuroscience
- The College of William and Mary
- Williamsburg, Virginia
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Reuter-Munoz KD, Powell LE, Andersen ES, Nye A, Powers JM, Rhodes JL, Pozez AL. Analysis of Pediatric Dog Bite Injuries at a Level 1 Trauma Center Over 10 Years. June 2021 – Volume 86 – Issue 6S – p S510-S516
- Tom AR, Boudiab EM, Issa CJ, Huynh K, Lu SM, Powers JM, Chaiyasate K. Single Center Retrospective Analysis of Cost and Payments Received for Lymphovenous Bypass and Vascularized Lymph Node Transfer. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. 2021 Jun; 9(6): e3630
- Issa CJ, Lu SM, Boudiab EM, DeSano J, Sachanandani NS, Powers JM, Chaiyasate K. Comparing Plastic Surgeon Operative Time for DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction: Two-Stage More Efficient than One-Stage? Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. 2021 Jun; 9(6): e3608
- Powers JM, Chaiyasate K. Dr. Ian Jackson and the Influence of a Global Traveling Plastic Surgery Fellowship on his Career. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2021 May 1;32(Suppl 3):1197-1198
- Powers JM, Sachanandani NS, Chaiyasate K. Transfacial Exposures of the Anterior Skull Base and Cervical Spine: Straightforward “Line-of-Sight” Algorithm for Selection of Approach. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2021 May 1;32(Suppl 3):1269-1274
- Sachanandani NS, Powers JM, Issa CJ, Oliver L, Chaiyasate K. Craniofacial Microsurgery: An Integrated Approach to Management of Cleft and Craniofacial Syndromes, Surgical Experience and Insights. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 2021 May 1;32(Suppl 3):1215-1220.
- Phillips BT, Buller MJ, Dean RA, Gasteratos K, Gfrerer L, Karadsheh MJ, O’Farrill A, Powers JM, Rifkin WJ, Sun AH, Gosain AK. Spotlight in Plastic Surgery: April 2021. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2021 Apr 1;147(4):1031-1033.
- Munoz KR, Powers JM, Zhang H, Kale SS. Prevalence and Utilization of Obturator Artery Anatomic Variant in Autologous Breast Reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2020 Oct 8.
- Powers JM, Choi JH, Kale SS. 2020. Recipient Vessel Thrombectomy and Anastomosis within the Zone of Injury in Microvascular Extremity Reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery Open, 020;5:e15–e21
- Schuth OA, Powers JM, Merritt W, Blanchet NP. 2020. Resolution of Thumb Pain following Adoption of Mathieu Needle Holder: An Ergonomic Analysis. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open, Apr 2020; 8(4): e2768.
- Williams AJ, Powers JM, Rhodes JL, Pozez AL. 2018. Microvascular Replantation Following Facial Dog Bites in Children: Systematic Review and Management Algorithm. Annals of Plastic Surgery, 81 (1), 106-112.
- Powers JM, Martinez M, Zhang S, Kale SS. 2018. A Description of the Vascular Anatomy of the Tensor Fascia Lata Perforator Flap Using Computed Tomography Angiography. Annals of Plastic Surgery, 80 (Supplement 6), S421-425.
- Hirsch SD, Powers JM, Rhodes JL. 2016. Neonatal Soft Tissue Reconstruction Using a Bioengineered Skin Substitute. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 28 (2), 489-491.
- Mavinakere MS, Powers JM, Subramanian KS, Roggero VR, Allison LA. 2012. Multiple novel signals mediate thyroid hormone receptor nuclear import and export. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287; 31280-31297.
Blog Posts and Other Publications
- Powers JM and Miller JE. How to Present an Article for Journal Club. Blog Post for PRS Resident Chronicles. Published online Aug 21, 2019. Accessible at https://prsresidentchronicles.com/2019/08/21/how-to-present-an-article-for-journal-club/
- Powers JM. Book Review: Operative Techniques in Plastic Surgery, Editor-in-Chief, Kevin C. Chung, MD, MS. Blog Post for PRS Resident Chronicles. Published online June 24, 2019. Accessible at https://prsresidentchronicles.com/2019/06/24/book-review-operative-techniques-inplastic-surgery-editor-in-chief-kevin-c-chung-md-ms/
- Powers JM. VCU Operating Room Family Day – A “How To” Interview. Blog Post for Association of Academic Surgeons. Published online Nov 30, 2017. Accessible at https://www.aasurg.org/blog/vcu-operating-room-family-day-interview/
- Powers JM and Feldman MJ. 2017. Everett Evans, Nuclear War, and the Birth of the Civilian Burn Center. Bulletin of the Surgical History Group, Papers from the 2017 Poster Competition, American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, San Diego, CA.
- Wellness Sub-Committee
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Resident Curriculum Committee
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Fundamentals of Surgery Sub-Committee
- GMEC Resident Wellness Sub-Committee
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association (ACPA)
- Christian Medical and Dental Association (CMDA)
- Pan African Academy of Christian Surgeons (PAACS)
- Fellowship of Christian Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (FCPRS)
Clinical Skills and Interests
- Aesthetic surgery
- Breast reconstruction
- Breast surgery
- Complex wound reconstruction
- Craniofacial surgery
- Facial plastic surgery
- Facial trauma reconstruction
- Global Surgery
- Hand reconstruction
- Head and neck reconstruction
- Microsurgical breast reconstruction
- Pediatric plastic surgery
- Reconstructive microsurgery
- Skin grafts and flaps
The Future of Medicine
Dr. Powers brings the latest techniques in craniofacial plastic and reconstructive surgery to the team at ETSU Health
Modern Healthcare from the Experts
Dr. Powers uses the latest technology in surgical microscopy to bring excellent results for his patients with microsurgical needs
Interview with WCYB
Dr. Powers interviews (briefly!) on WCYB regarding his pediatric plastic surgery expertise
ETSU Health Press Release
“As both a reconstructive and cosmetic surgeon and a native of Marion, Virginia, Dr. Jeremy Powers appreciates the opportunity to contribute his skills and abilities to improve the lives and health of the people in this area.”
Read more: https://bit.ly/3HaOiva